Winter months have always been tough on me, and with the days getting even shorter this weekend I am soaking up every ray of sunshine I can get. Today it’s 75 degrees out and It’s November 1st, so I will be outside planting some lilies a coworker gave me, and hope to get a couple miles in with my mini before dark.
Because winter months have been hard for me, I thought I’d make a list of some “winter goals,” so here they are in no particular order:
- Take one day at a time. The holidays are going to be hard without my husband, but we WILL get through it.
- Drink all things peppermint. Because isn’t that one of the best things about winter?
- Wear all the boots. I love boots, leggings/tights with cute tops or dresses.
- Continue to run at least 2 days per week on the treadmill and TRY to get outside weather permitting for 1 day.
- Yoga, at least once per week…I suck at sticking to this goal so I’ll keep putting it out there to keep me accountable.
- Continue to strength train, and ramp up the weight workouts. I love muscles LOL.
- Watch my diet and caloric intake. We are having a “Biggest loser” challenge at work for the next six weeks and I’d LOVE to lose a few more lbs before my hubby gets home next year.
- Track my food on MyFitnesspal. EVERY day…not just when it’s convenient. Follow my progress if you use MFP, I am chelled73.
- Cook more food…I’ve been taking the easy way out for a while, so last week I made this yummy beef stew in my crock pot. 2 cups of red wine, 4 cups of water, 2 lbs. of cubed sirloin steak, 2 sweet potatoes cubed, one onion sliced, 2 carrots cut into ¼ inch disks, 3 cloves of garlic minced, dash of Worcestershire sauce, 1 packet of onion soup mix, salt, pepper and a bay leave—throw it in your crock pot on high for 4 hours. I DID season the steak with salt and pepper generously and set aside while I was chopping the vegetables.
- Call/text my parents more. At least twice a week…I miss them very much and we only see each other 2-3 times per year so I need to be better about communicating with them.
- Celebrate the good things, every, darn day…be it a good conversation with my teen, or a load of laundry I actually PUT AWAY right away after folding…#celebratethegood
- Continue to work towards my goals of moving back south (we moved to the Chicagoland area after I retired from the Air Force in 2011, we previously lived in Texas), and with that, LOOKIE LOOKIE what came in the mail last night?
- And ultimately, keep movin’ forward…because isn’t that what life is all about?!
How do you keep busy during winter months? What’s your favorite thing about winter minus the holidays themselves? Tell me something good!